MY SUPERHERO by Katherine Wangh

MY SUPERHERO

By Katherine Wangh

I have a superhero in my life who wears superhero shirts, reads superhero books, loves superhero stories, draws superhero figures, and talks about all things superhero things.

I don’t know how it happened exactly that my adorable four-year old grandson has turned into a superhero in the last few months, but he has. Whenever we go to the library now, he knows just where to find the superhero books in the superhero section. It seems like picture books won’t do anymore, until he scares himself with all the superhero pictures and decides to curl up in my lap with a picture book we can enjoy together. Today, he told me he likes robots. I said I prefer people because they have feelings and are not machines. Then he wanted to know “Why do machines break down?” and I got to explain about mechanical parts wearing out and hoped he wouldn’t draw any connections to old knees and old hips wearing out too. As my dentist said last week, when he fixed a tooth I’d chipped crunching on an almond, “The whole business is wearing out, not just your teeth!”

In any case, my grandson is full of questions and looks to me for answers which I try to supply. Today, he wanted to know what came before houses? I said people began by living in caves. “You mean like the ones with bats in them?” (We had just seen a nature film with a huge cave filled with thousands of bats!) I assured him that not all caves have bats in them, and if they do, they do not have that many. I detected a sense of relief. I told him, too, that some people also lived in tents, especially in warm weather. And, I added, some people made houses out of mud and sticks or out of wood. As for bricks, they were made of baked clay stacked on top of each other. He was quiet, absorbing all of this. When we got home, I took out a book on the Lascaux caves that I haven’t looked at in over 50 years, and he got to see some of the cave drawings, immediately recognizing the bulls, deer, and horses!

Later on, he did some drawings of his own. He drew some of the letters of the alphabet which he transformed into people. We stapled these pages together and made a book he could take home with him. No superheroes on these pages, just big smiling faces with blob bodies and stick arms and legs–my grandson’s early drawings of recognizable humans, not machines or robots.

When I took him home, he handed me a gift and said, “It’s Batman!” In my hand, I found a tangerine peel in the shape of the Batman sign with the word “Batman” written inside in magic marker! I smiled and thanked my superhero for this special gift.

Writers Guild member Kathy Wangh

My interests?  Music. Art, language, psychology, nature, science, travel.  My professions?  Teaching preschool and working with children/young adults as a psycho-analytically trained therapist. Married to scientist Larry for over 50 years and now enjoying grandchildren, curating my father’s artistic legacy, writing, and gardening!