OUR TURNER STREET GALLERY: Helen Abrams’ Photography

AT THE TURNER STREET GALLERY:  HELEN ABRAMS

BOLLI Member and Photographer Helen Abrams

Currently, a host of Helen’s photographs are on display at 60 Turner Street.  Beginning at the stair landing where two pieces hang, viewers can proceed to the Purple Room to find an additional set of framed works which showcase her lovely work.

This is not the first show of Helen’s work.   She has had pieces in both group and solo shows at the Holyoke Center Art Gallery in Cambridge, the Arsenal Center for the Arts in Watertown, and at both the Arlington and Watertown Public Libraries.

Helen says that “Photography has inspired me to find new ways of expressing the way I see and experience the world. I find beauty in the smallest details; in the fleeting shadows and light; in the juxtaposition of lines, texture, colors and shapes. Whether traveling or observing nature, I use my camera to capture an image (of plants and trees especially) that might not be a traditional view. My goal is to bring back a glimpse of what I’ve experienced in a way that makes you stop for a moment to enjoy and reflect.”

A virtual tour of Helen’s current show at Turner Street includes:

Yellow Wood Tree
Yellow Wood Tree

“This photograph of a yellow wood tree was taken several years ago at Mt. Auburn Cemetery.  Sadly, it is no more–it was struck by lightning and taken down last year.  So, this image is a treasured memory.”

Great Brewster Line
Great Brewster Line

“I took this one last summer when we were visiting Great Brewster Island and lighthouse.  The shoes, held together with clothespins, were sitting on the lighthouse base drying in the sun.”

Helen Abrams Photography
The Stewartias
“The stewartias, my favorites, are two trees located in the Consecration Dell at Mt. Auburn Cemetery that have ‘four season interest.’  This photo was taken in the fall, and you can see the leaves turning a beautiful shade of red/orange.  But it’s the bark, which stays the same all through the year that makes me love the stewartias.  Shades of brown and gray, stately and grand.”
Old Door Lock
Old Door Lock
Out on a Limb
Out on a Limb
Twin Birches
Twin Birches
Roman Garden
Roman Garden
Birch Butterfly
Birch Butterfly

For information about purchasing images or future shows, contact Helen at hsabrams@gmail.com.