THE CHEF’S CORNER WITH JOHN RUDY: BAKED APRICOT CHICKEN

BAKED APRICOT CHICKEN

For this recipe, I use large thighs, but they can be replaced with thick pieces of breast meat.  Also, although I prefer thigh meat as it does not dry out and usually cook it with bone and skin, you can also use boneless.  Serve with rice.  I first made this in 1970.

4                            Chicken thighs with bone and skin

½ cup                  Apricot preserves

1/2 cup              Wish Bone Russian or French Dressing

½ package          Lipton Dried Onion Soup Mix

1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. In a medium bowl combine the jam, dressing and soup mix. Mix together.
  3. Place chicken pieces in an 8” x 8” baking dish. Pour apricot mixture over chicken and bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.  The time will vary depending on bone or no bone, and with thigh or breast.  So it is best to start checking at 30 minutes.
  4. Broil (skin up) for a couple of minutes if you used pieces with skin
BOLLI “Matters” feature writer John Rudy

John says that it was his mother who inspired his love of cooking and baking at an early age.  (She cooked vegetables in boil-able packages.)

7 thoughts on “THE CHEF’S CORNER WITH JOHN RUDY: BAKED APRICOT CHICKEN”

1. Great idea for yet another innovative approach to cooking chicken, my favorite poultry.

Thanks for the ideas.

1. I have many more. The thing I love best, but won’t cook because it uses about a quart of oil, is Fried Chicken. So I travel to KFC

2. HI John,
    I inherited this recipe from my Aunt Bryna who inherited it from my Nana Besse. The only difference is that I use Ken’s Russian dressing.
    This is such an easy recipe and an all time favorite in my family. I double the batch. It freezes well.

3. Thank you for this. My working mother would leave me notes about what to start cooking for dinner. This was in the mid to late ’60’s. This recipe, which left my consciousness and my recipe box long ago, was a favorite. I will have to reinstate it in my repertoire .