Holocaust Study Challenges Stereotype of the “Ungrateful Jew”

By Joanna Beata Michlic

Joanna Michlic

Joanna Michlic

When I began researching the history of those who rescued Jews in wartime Poland, I quickly realized that this is not a closed chapter: that this history has had a deep impact, for a long time after the end of the Holocaust, on the lives of individuals and families of both rescuers and survivors.

My work on rescuers also aims to debunk some skewed popular myths pertaining to the memory of the Holocaust that crystallized in the early postwar period such as the theme of the “ignoble ungrateful Jew.” My research shows that the myth of ungrateful Jew was rooted in prejudice rather than in reality. The early postwar letters of Jewish survivors reveal that in some cases, ironically the best form of gratitude for wartime deeds was for the Jewish survivors to pretend to cut off contact with the rescuers in the early postwar period so these Poles would not be exposed to their neighbors’ disapproval of their wartime rescue activities, expressed in robbery and violence.

I belong to a generation of scholars, who have a free access to major archives in post-communist Poland and therefore can analyze previously inaccessible primary sources including personal testimonies and letters of Polish rescuers and Jewish survivors that throw a new light on the nature of rescue. My role, as I see it, is to revisit, reevaluate and reinterpret the history of Polish rescuers and the relationship between rescuers and their Jewish charges written during the communist period (1945-1989). During that period, the subject was a highly emotional and politicized topic presented in a biased and superficial manner in both the historiography and public memory. Many aspects of the relationship between rescuers and Jewish survivors during and after the Holocaust eluded close treatment by historians, as had a detailed typology of rescuers and the analysis of the status of rescuers and attitudes and behavior towards them within their own communities.

My research on this topic first started while working on a book on Jewish child survivors. I studied personal accounts of child survivors and rescuers from the early and late post-war periods and official records. There is no doubt that to write a comprehensive and nuanced history of the rescue of Jews in Poland today one has to approach the subject anew. I argue that studies of rescue should steer away from analyzing the topic from one point of view. They require a solid empirical, theoretical, and comparative approach that would result in placing it in the broader historical context of rescue in the entire Nazi-occupied Europe—that should lead to the demystification of it in and for Polish history. It is important for scholars to develop analytical tools and new intellectual approaches that would allow them to write a history of rescue in which all types of rescuers will be discussed from multiple perspectives.

In my work I insist that the history of rescuers who were dedicated to saving their Jewish charges without any intention of benefiting from their actions, has to be retold because of the ongoing manipulation of these rescuers by right-wing

Conservative politicians, historians, clergy, and pundits in post-communist Poland. In rewriting their history, one not only has to examine the socio-economic background, gender, and religiosity of these rescuers, but also investigate the more subjective factors such as family practices, the individual system of beliefs, emotions, and parental and sexual desires of married, widowed and single male and female rescuers.

In my own research I focus on the “dedicated rescuers” who went above and beyond their sense of duty to save Jewish life, and the ways they were perceived and treated by the local environment. I am particularly interested in the stigmatization of dedicated rescuers within their local environment. I argue that during the war and in the immediate postwar period, “dedicated” rescuers feared of being insulted and robbed, but this fear cannot be understood without cultural underpinning. People who robbed and ransacked rescuers’ properties did not do so solely for economic reasons, though they may have stolen in the belief that rescuers had acquired Jewish wealth. Economic reasons and benefits were important, but the rationale and motivation was to stigmatize, ridicule, and punish rescuers for saving Jews.

The pre-1939 ethno-nationalistic intention in labeling an individual a ‘Jewish saviour’ was to make him or her stand out from the collective for betraying Polish social and cultural norms. Prewar symbolic stigmatization of Poles who spoke out against anti-Semitism, in the form of verbal abuse, took on much more violent and aggressive forms under German occupation with its genocidal policies against Jews and punitive measures against rescuers of Jewish fugitives. Verbal violence easily turned into brutal deeds against dedicated rescuers. And this situation continued in the early postwar period, when Jewish survivors began to come out of their shelters and leave their rescuers.

Dr. Joanna Beata Michlic is the Director of the HBI Project on Families, Children, and the Holocaust. She is currently a Senior Fulbright Scholar at the Strochlitz Institute for Holocaust Research and the Weiss-Livnat International M.A. in Holocaust Studies, University of Haifa. She is a member of the department of Historical Studies, Bristol University. She is the co-editor of Bringing the Dark Past to Light: The Reception of the Holocaust in Postcommunist Europe.

5 thoughts on “Holocaust Study Challenges Stereotype of the “Ungrateful Jew”

1. Bonnie Clewans

My Synagogue recently watched the movie, Finding Leah Tickotsky to mixed reviews. Many felt the film maker was glorifying the Polish citizens who were speaking very kindly about the Jews who were persecuted. My grandfather lost 9 members of his family and a factory, in Poland, and received reparations from the Polish government. I am very ambivalent as there were many righteous Gentiles in WWII but the underlying anti-Semitism is still a reality. Not a simple subject.

Reply
  2. DOROTHY ZIMMERMAN

My paternal grandparents were born in Poland and immigrated to this country. My grandfather passed away before I was born and although my grandmother lived to an old age, she never spoke English well. I never learned Yiddish or Polish and therefore my communication with her was minimal. In any case, growing up in the 40’s and 50’s in a Jewish household, I was well aware of the war and later of the fate of the Jews. My parents were activists, and I remember my mother’s calls to members of congress in support of the establishment of the state of Israel.
    Many years later as a tourist in Poland, I never felt comfortable particularly after our Jewish tour guide took us to the very large Church of the Black Madonna outside Krakow. The priest who led us through the facility made negative comments about Jews and Israel. Based on that visit and subsequent reports from Poland, it is clear that anti-semitism is part of the culture.
    Thank you for your blog report.

Reply
    1. Joanna B. Michlic

Dear all, Thank you for your insightful comments on my blog. Dorothy, I have not yet seen the new film about Jewish life in contemporary Poland by Francine Zuckerman, but look forward to watching it. Do you have a contact email address for the film maker that you could share with me?

Reply