There are many factors that determine the success of an organizational leader, from personal attributes such as leadership style and emotional intelligence to communication, decision making, and conflict resolution skills. Then you have external factors, including organizational structure and the influence of corporate culture. Regardless of external influences, successful leaders have a strong moral code, are able to motivate a team, and can provide effective feedback when necessary.
Brandeis GPS will be offering Organizational Leadership and Decision Making during our Fall 2 session, starting in October. The fully online, 10-week course will focus on leadership as a process by which one person influences the attitudes and behaviors of others. Topics covered include various leadership theories and models, differences across cultures, ethics and attributes, organizational change and development, and the role of the leader in establishing organizational culture and facilitating change. Students will deepen their understanding of these concepts through group projects and leadership simulations.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Gain insight into their own strengths and weaknesses as a leader and create a plan for continued introspection and improvement
- Describe the nature of leadership and assess the basic functions of management and the complexities of leadership
- Analyze the role of moral reasoning and ethics in organizational and team decisions
- Examine multiple viewpoints for differing frames of reference, perspectives, and orientations to the same situation
- Employ leadership, team-building and decision-making concepts; examine how teams make high-stakes decisions in stressful situations, why individuals and teams make flawed choices and how leaders shape the context and the process through which teams make decisions
- Critically reflect on leadership style and their own experience within a team and its leadership
- Understand the role of leaders in setting strategic focus and direction
At Brandeis GPS, you can take up to two courses before enrolling in one of our 12 online Master’s degree programs. If you’re interested in exploring the MS in Technology Management or would like to learn more about leadership and decision making as part of your own professional development, contact the GPS office for more information or to request a syllabus: 781-736-8787, email@example.com, or submit your information.