Response to “Gen Y” Article

The four characteristics of “Gen Y’ the article mentions are productivity, communication, career mobility, and career resilience. I consider myself to be productive. I may not be as fast and efficient at generating information as the many people of my generation are, but I do think that I am adept at finding information quickly using the many resources available to me. I also feel that I am a skilled communicator. Trunk makes a valid point when saying that those who grew up using the Internet have been exposed to (at least one form of) written communication from a very young age, usually making them more proficient in it. I find myself writing often, which constantly improves my communication skills. The fact that I enjoy writing also contributes to my communication abilities. Since I’m still in college, I have not had personal experience with career mobility. I can imagine, however, that I would have that characteristic when I enter the working world. I am not particularly fond of change, however. That being said, it is to my benefit to experience as many different careers as I can to find the one that best suits me. In addition, I have not had personal experience with career resilience; something I would imagine could also describe what I might experience in the future.

As a whole, I agree with the article. However, there are parts I think need more clarification. I think that the article focuses on Generation Y’s success in certain fields but fails to mention the many careers in which older age groups are still more skilled. Careers that need employees who are familiar with technology are definitely becoming more and more prevalent, but there is a lot to be said for experience. I do think of myself as Gen Y. I grew up using computers in school and at home. I would characterize my generation as the children of the Baby Boomers, the individuals who grew up with and are still closely associated with technology.

I scored a 17 on the quiz at the end of the article, which according to the ranking system makes me a part of Generation Y. I do agree with these results. I use different forms of technology in daily life as forms of communication and expression. These are characteristics of my friends as well, who are also a part of my generation.

I think that I would have not answered the quiz questions differently. That is not because I think what I have learned in this class has not been extremely useful. Rather, the quiz questions were geared towards daily activities, not my current set of skills. If it had asked me how proficient I am with audio, video, blogging, and the Web, I would have answered differently after taking this class. However, the questions were about subjects like texting and how I use and send messages from my phone.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.