Elan’s Final Video
Elan Interview Questions
I will be interviewing a number of editors from each respective newspaper, but one person that has definitely agreed to an interview is managing editor of the Justice Avi Gold. I want to do a behind the scenes video of either the Justice, the Hoot or both, and I think Avi is the perfect person to talk to for this story.
- What’s the process for putting together the paper?
- How many staff members are there on the paper?
- What does the hierarchy look like?
- How often do you meet as an editorial staff?
- Where do story ideas come from?
- How is your relationship with the Hoot?
- Have the two papers ever collaborated on anything?
These are just the questions that immediately came to my mind. I’m sure I’ll have more.
Elan Kane Video Story Ideas
I’m struggling to think of some ideas for my video story. One idea I had is to report on the on-campus publications (the Justice and Hoot) — how they work, how they differ, how they compare, and the relationships between them. I would interview the editors-in-chief of each respective newspaper, and as a B-roll film the editing process.
Another idea I had was to report on the A-board budget cuts this year. A number of clubs received significantly less money than the amount they requested. The process is controversial as six students essentially make these budget decisions. This was only one idea — not sure if I love it honestly.
Elan Kane Interview
Sorry this is so late — I was just able to finalize my interview today. I will be interviewing Aaron Liberman. Liberman is an orthodox Jew who played division 1 basketball first for Northwestern and then for Tulane before transferring to Brandeis this year. I will be asking him about his basketball history and why he decided to transfer for Brandeis, a division 3 athletic school. Some of my questions for him include:
- When did you start playing basketball?
- Did you play other sports growing up?
- When did you realize you’d be able to play collegiate basketball?
- How has it been being a religious Jew while playing basketball in a secular college world?
- How was the basketball scene at Northwestern?
- Why did you decide to transfer to Tulane?
- How was basketball at Tulane different?
- Why did you decide to transfer to Brandeis?
- How has basketball been different at Brandeis, a div 3 school, as compared to Northwestern and Tulane?
Hi- my name is Elan Kane and I’m a senior majoring in American Studies and minoring in Journalism. I first became interested in journalism after studying sports journalism freshman year. Since then I have had a number of different sports journalism internships/writing opportunities. Since my focus so far has been on sports journalism, I’m hoping to expand my journalism experiences to cover more general topics.
I’m still looking for some more story leads on campus, but I have had a few ideas for outside-campus stories. One of my ideas is to find out more information about the reservoir that is near Brandeis. Many students go there to swim or hang out, and I would like to find out more about what the reservoir is used for and the history behind it. Another story idea that I had (which is actually on-campur) was to interview a orthodox Jewish basketball player who just recently transferred from Tulane to play at Brandeis.