Alumni news

Update the Physics Department

Physics at Brandeis Alumni Updates

Neil Fieldman, BA ’53

Divorced;
Two children;
One grandchild;
US Army, 1953-1955
Hycon Eastern Corporation, Cambridge, MA, communications, research, 1955-1957
Boston University Law School, 1956-1959
Private Law Practice, Springfield, MA, 1959-2011
Now retired.

Frank Haurwitz, BA ’59

After graduating from Brandeis in 59 I went on to get a PhD in Meteorology from the U of Michigan. It only took a few years of working as a climate modeler to recognize that there were better ways for me to spend my time. The U of Denver provided me with a PsyD in Clinical Psychology and I spent the rest of my professional life in private practice in the Denver area. Retirement took me to the southern part of Baja Mexico, then back to Denver and now to Eugene OR. I must say that Brandeis seems another life ago.

Nicholas WheelerlowNicholas Wheeler, PhD ’60

Guess I was the first to emerge with a PhD from the Brandeis Physics Department (February 1960), under direction of Sam Schweber. Went in March 1960 with NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship to Utrecht to work with Leon VanHove, but arrived just as he was leaving to head the Theory Division at CERN, in Geneva, to which I followed him. He––preoccupied with his new assignment––left me entirely to my own devices: split my time in Geneva between self-directed physics and serious study of cello at the Geneva Conservatory. After a year back at Brandeis (working again with Schwebe, and E. P. Gross), I joined the physics faculty at Reed College, in Portland, Oregon. Taught there for 47 years (must be the longest of anybody in the history of that college, which this week celebrates its Centennial), retired in May of 2010.
Used my first year of retirement finally to complete construction of a harpsichord (French double, after Pascal Taskin, Paris, 1769):  That project now behind me, I am reestablished in my Reed College office––doing mathematical physics, enjoying all the benefits and none of the tedious distractions of my former position.

Harold Fetterman, BA ’62

After graduating from Brandeis in 1962 majoring in Physics I went to Cornell University and received a PhD in Solid State Physics in 1968. I then took a job in the warmest place I could find in the states. This was a post-doc at UCLA working with Rubin Braunstein (a solid state pioneer in semiconductors). Two years later I returned to Boston and worked for 12 years at Lincoln Laboratory MIT on Submillimeter (TeraHertz) wave physics. I really became active in this field and had all sorts of projects ranging from Semiconductor and Plasma Physics to Astronomy. In 1982 I received an offer from UCLA Electrical Engineering to be a Full Professor and to be the head of a new Center. I was at UCLA engineering for the rest of my career starting as Associated Dean and ending as a Distinguished Professor of  EE Emeriti. I still have a Laser laboratory with a few students and have a continued interest in new optical devices and biomedical applications. It has been an interesting time and I feel very happy with the excellent background in both Physics and Math that I received from Brandeis. I’m married to my sweetheart (Susan Rauchway) from Cornell (46 years) and have two sons – one of which is now also a Scientist at Lincoln Laboratory MIT. I’m a fellow of the IEEE & OSA and have received several national awards in my field.

Murray Turoff, PhD ’65

I am afraid I moved out of physics into other things in the three years after my PhD (1965) and have been there ever since.  In any case I would be interested in your blog to see what happened to some of my fellow students. My homepage is http://is.njit.edu/turoff and I am retired but still doing R&D in my specialty areas. I always felt my physics background, especially, in astrophysics, prepared me well for being able to investigate and model complex problems. Here are three papers now being published that gives you some background on what I  have been doing. The BP disaster paper is being published in the annual HICSS conference in January 2012.  The proceedings are published by IEEE.

Scenario construction via Delphi and cross-impact analysis_online.pdf
TFS_17336_Delphi_HL-MT.pdf
Acceptedhicss2011finalBP2.pdf

Randolph Becker, BA ’68

I left Brandeis in 1968 majoring in Physics and Sociology.  Back in 1966, I had a thought: while I could “do” physics, I more enjoyed the work I was doing at the local Universalist Unitarian congregation.
So it was that after I left Brandeis, I earned a professional Doctor of Ministry degree at Meadville Theological School at the University of Chicago. I followed that with doctoral work in Religious Education at New York University.  The interface of faith and science still intrigues me. I continue to read physics and offer community seminars on Science and Religion at institutions such as the College of William and Mary.  So, did Brandeis make a physicist out of me?  No.  Did Brandeis’ physics education make me a better human being and minister?  Yes.  I am always proud to say that I have an undergraduate degree in physics from Brandeis — it is part of what helped to shape a life I wouldn’t trade for any other.
http://www.uufkw.org/minister-meet.html

Gerald Moore, PhD ’69

Perhaps some folks in the Physics Department may be interested to know that the first experimental confirmation of what is now called the dynamical Casimir effect (photon creation by moving mirrors) has just been reported by C. M. Wilson et al in Science, Vol. 479, p. 376 (2011). This effect was first predicted in my 1969 Brandeis Ph.D. dissertation, “The Electromagnetic Field and Laser Dynamics in a Cavity Bounded by Moving Mirrors”, done under Professor Hugh Pendleton and was published in the Journal of Mathematical Physics, Vol. 11, p. 2679 (1970).

I have been living in Albuquerque since 1980, working first at the University of New Mexico and for some years at the Air Force Research Laboratory. My wife, Sharon Moynahan, is retired from the UNM library. We have one daughter, Anne Morrow, presently pursuing a Ph.D. in mathematics at the University of Colorado. My current research interests are fiber lasers and nonlinear optics. A few years ago I contributed to the development of a solid-state 50-W 589-nm beacon to excite mesospheric sodium for adaptive optics imaging. I enjoy hiking in the New Mexico mountains and deserts.

Peter Mansbach, PhD ’71

I’m retired from computer programming, but I’m starting a nonprofit, Circadian Sleep Disorders Network, to promote awareness and accommodation for people with circadian sleep disorders such as Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder (DSPD).

http://www.circadiansleepdisorders.org/

Littman_72Michael G. Littman , BA ’72
I did a PhD at MIT with Dan Kleppner. I was his first student to work on Rydberg atoms. At MIT I developed a tunable laser in collaboration with Harold Metcalf. I joined the faculty at Princeton in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering in 1979. My work included improvements to the laser design. It was later adapted for use with laser diodes. I never patented the design – but it did get me promoted to Full Professor.I am now studying the apparatus collection of Prof. Joseph Henry- he left Princeton in 1846 to lead the Smithsonian Institution. I enjoy teaching at Princeton including courses on microcomputer control, history of engineering, and motorcycle design.R.R. Subramanian, PhD ’74

Thank you for remembering me– I cherish my years at Brandeis with Gross and Grisaru, Lange, Pendelton, Schwenger, Deser, Schnitzer–such brilliant men, I felt a fool. I left physics in1974 to do arms control at Stanford, Harvard and joined govt think tanks,but physics I still do but unprofessionally, esp cosmology. It was unforgettable meeting Weinburg and Schwinger at Harvard, MIT.

Dennis Blejer, BA ’75

I recently celebrated 25 years with MIT Lincoln Laboratory and was inducted into the MIT Quarter Century Club.  I am involved with research projects on intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) radars with a recent emphasis on maritime ISR.  My work involves applications of:  electromagnetic scattering theory, signal processing, and systems engineering.

Nelson Hartunian, PhD ’75

I guess I’m a physicist at heart earning my money in software…Dr. Hartunian directs training, business consulting and customer support activities, and also oversees software development.  For more than 20 years, he has worked closely with hundreds of companies to implement improved demand planning, forecasting and inventory optimization processes. He has overseen successful implementations at some of the world’s largest enterprises, and he uses this experience to constantly refine and improve Smart Software’s products, consulting and training operations, making them industry models for success.  Before helping to launch Smart Software, Dr. Hartunian served on the faculties of Northeastern University, the University of Massachusetts, and Bentley College. He holds a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and M.S. in Physics from Tufts University. He also received his Ph.D. in Physics from Brandeis University, and was a fellow at MIT’s Center for Advanced Engineering Studies.

Lynn Cominsky, BA ’75

Lynn Cominsky (’75) was elected a Fellow of the American Physical Society (2009, Forum on Education), “For her seminal work to promote student and teacher education using NASA missions as inspiration.”  Currently she is Chair Elect of the California-Nevada section of the APS, as well as a member-at-large of the Executive Committee of the APS Division of Astrophysics. Cominsky also continues to chair the Physics and Astronomy Department at Sonoma State University, and directs SSU’s Education and Public Outreach group.

Howard Branz, BA ’78

I’m a Principal Scientist in the National Center for Photovoltaics at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in Golden, CO.  We’re the DOE’s principal national laboratory  for renewable energy.  I’m also a Fellow of the Renewable and Sustainable Energy Institute (RASEI), a joint institute of NREL and the University of Colorado. I lead a team of scientists and engineers trying to improve solar cells made of silicon materials. The research spans applied physics, materials science and electrical engineering.  We work on new forms of film crystal silicon on inexpensive substrates, nanoscale materials for light-trapping and anti-reflection (‘black Si’), and amorphous silicon.  We also work on new PV cell designs to exploit these new materials. Recently, I began working to use of silicon materials in photoelectrochemical water-splitting systems.

Laurence Blumberg, BA ’83

Dr. Blumberg, Senior Vice President, Business Development at Kadmon, has extensive experience in the life sciences, as an equity analyst, investor, as well as a company founder and entrepreneur.  Prior to Kadmon, he co-founded and served on the board of Syntonix Pharmaceuticals through its sale to Biogen-Idec in 2007. Syntonix has formed the basis of the Hemophilia program at Biogen-Idec and is anticipating regulatory approvals in 2013. Previously, and in March of 2007 he implemented a North American co-marketing relationship between Cambridge Heart and St. Jude Medical and served on the Board of Directors of Cambridge Heart (of which he was also a co-founder) from 2006-2008. Previously, Dr. Blumberg was Managing Member of Blumberg Capital Management from 1999-2006, a life science investment partnership. From 1994-1999, Dr. Blumberg was the senior global biotechnology and medical device analyst for Alliance Capital. Dr. Blumberg currently is also a member of the Board of Overseers of the School of Science, Brandeis University. Dr. Blumberg received a BA from Brandeis University (1983) magna cum laude with highest honors in physics, an M.D. from Temple University School of Medicine (1987), and an Executive MBA from Columbia University School of Business (1998). He also completed an Internship in Surgery at Abington Memorial Hospital in 1988, and subsequently received Otolaryngology training in 1989 at Geisinger Medical Center in Pennsylvania and still maintains an active medical license in the State of Pennsylvania.

Sid Hellman, BA ’87

Sid is president of ISTI (www.isti.com) an open source geophysical software company with offices in both Saratoga Springs and New Paltz, NY. Sid earned his MA from Stony Brook, and then joined the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University’s research staff. He co-founded ISTI in 1998. ISTI is currently hiring people with strong computer science and physics/geophysics backgrounds. For those who are interested, geophysics is like physics, but you get to spend a lot of time outdoors. Please contact me if you are interested in finding out more about working with us.

Piero Sferlazzo, PhD ’88

I am President and co-founder of Aventa technologies, a 2 year old start-up which builds manufacturing equipment for the Superconductors, Solar, and LED markets.  You can see our website at www.aventatech.com

Thomas Kepler, PhD ’89

Grace Kepler (PhD, Brandeis Physics, 1992) and I have been married for 29 years this May, and have two great kids. We lived twice in Santa Fe (I was at the Santa Fe Institute as a postdoc 1991 then as VP 2000-2002) and twice in North Carolina (NC State Statistics Department 1993-2000, then Duke Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Department, 2003-2011) and have now settled back in Boston (BU School of Medicine Microbiology and BU Math and Statistics). Grace and I work together in a laboratory that combines computational biology and experiment in immunology and vaccinology.

I learned computational science at the feet of Larry Abbott, Hugh Pendleton, and Howard Schnitzer among other memorable teachers at Brandeis. Their lessons are now being put to use in ways they may not have anticipated–in the effort to develop a vaccine against AIDS. I am fortunate indeed to be directing computational biology for an exceptional research project, the Center for HIV/AIDS Vaccine Immunology-Immunogen Design (CHAVI-ID).

We have just published a paper in Nature (doi:10.1038/nature12053) reporting on observations on the development of extraordinary antibodies with potent neutralizing activity against a wide range of HIV-1 viral strains. These studies substantially increase our understanding of the intricate within-host evolutionary interplay between the virus and the immune system, and point the way toward promising new strategies for HIV vaccine development. This is an exciting breakthrough in which mathematics played a key role.

George Srajer, Phd ’89

I was a graduate student of Prof. Bob Meyer. I graduated in September of 1988. I am currently the Associate Director in X-Ray Science Division at the Advanced Photon Source, Argonne National Laboratory (http://www.aps.anl.gov).

Jim Clarage, PhD ’90

I am now chair of the physics program at the University of St. Thomas in Houston, TX.  My faculty bio page is at: http://www.stthom.edu/Faculty_Bios/A_Thru_C/Clarage_James.aqf

Brian Katz, BA ’90

After graduating with a dual major BA in Physics and Philosophy, I went on to an MS in Applied Physics before finding my calling in Acoustics (thanks to much time spent running the production department at Student Events in 1990) and obtaining a PhD at PSU. I then moved to NYC where I worked at the consulting firms Artec and Arup Acoustics, specializing in room acoustic design for the performing arts. Too attached to research, I left consulting to do a post-doc in Paris, after which I decided to stay in France. Since 2002 I have been a researcher with the CNRS, focusing on Acoustics and Audio Virtual Reality at LIMSI (http://www.limsi.fr/).

Bruce Turner, BA ’90

I think I can encapsulate the last twenty years into one paragraph.  I moved to Texas back in 1994 to work in the semiconductor industry.  I spent fifteen years with Cypress Semiconductor in their Round Rock facility, working first in device yield improvement and then in manufacturing test.  The Cypress site closed down in 2009.  Since then I have moved on to work for Texas Instruments, serving as the Probe Engineering Section Head for one of their Dallas-area wafer test floors.

Kenneth Wong, BA ’91

Currently, Kenneth an Assistant Professor and  Interim Associate Dean of the Graduate School & NVC Director, Physics, Virginia Tech.

Xiaolei Ao, PhD ’92
I am Xiaolei Ao, currently working in General Electric Company. I am  an engineering manager working on multi-phase flow meter technogy in a GE unit located in Billerica, MA.  I have a daughter Elizabeth Li attending Brandeis.  She is a senior majoring in biochemistry and chemistry.

Michael Clarage, PhD ’92

Gave the Key Note Speech at the Electric Universe 2013 conference in Albuquerque New Mexico. You can see a version of the talk here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OI77ERlDs8

Olga Gursky, PhD ’92

gurskylab

I am an Associate Professor in the Department of Physiology and Biophysics at Boston University School of Medicine. Our NIH-funded work is focused on structural stability and functional remodeling of macromolecular  assemblies of proteins and lipids, such as Good and Bad Cholesterol. We also have collaborative projects focused on protein misfolding and fibril formation in amyloidosis.

Xunming Chen, PhD ’93

I am glad to hear the news on the Physics Department Blog. The following is a short summary of my recent experiences:I worked for Applied Biosystems for more than 10 years developing software for controlling TOF mass spectrometers and for analyzing data for protein identifications. The challenges were improving the mass accuracy, optimizing the performance of instrument and analyzing large amount of data for automatic protein identifications.

Four years ago, I joined Olympus Innov-X to lead the software development of a new XRF based sorting instrument. After the release of the software, I was tasked to drive the software development of handheld XRF instrument. This is a small instrument that generates X-Ray from a tube to create secondary X-Rays in the test sample. The secondary X-Ray spectrum is recorded and the energy and intensity are used to compute the element concentrations. Recently, I started working as a scientist improving algorithms for analyzing the spectrum to determine concentrations. The application of XRF technology is very diverse: mining, alloy, Lead Paint detection and so on.

William Karstens, MS ’93

I am presently Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Physics at Saint Michael’s College in Colchester, VT

Rachel Zimmerman Brachman, BA ’95

Rachel has been working at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California since 2003.  She is a Solar System and Technology Education and Public Outreach Specialist, working on the Cassini mission to Saturn, Radioisotope Power Systems, and Astrobiology.  Rachel earned her Master of Space Studies from the International Space University in Strasbourg, France in 1998, and has worked at the Canadian Space Agency, The Planetary Society, and the California Institute of Technology.

In 2011, Brachman received the visionary award from the Women’s International Film and Television Showcase (WIFTS) for an invention she created at the age of 12: using her home computer she developed a software program, computerized Bliss symbols, so that non-speaking people with severe disabilities could still communicate.

Ari Adler, BS ’96

I am living  in Cambridge with my wife Melissa and we have a 18 month old daughter Amaya.   I am in my 11th year at IDEO in our Cambridge office. My current role is Design Community Lead with a focus on engineering and  technology.

BerebichezDeborah Berebichez, BS ’96  I graduated from the physics department at Brandeis in 1996. I wrote my honors thesis in “Liquid Crystals under a Spatially-Varying Electric Field used as a Light-Steering Device” with the wonderful professor Robert Meyer, who I  remember fondly. I took classes with John Wardle, who was instrumental in helping me transition from Philosophy to Physics through the help of his postdoc and dear mentor Roopesh Ojha. Seth Fraden’s first course in waves was so much fun that it ignited my passion for a career in wave theory. Stanley Deser’s Electrodynamics class was rigorous and profound. Lawrence E. Kirsch taught me how to build circuits (when we managed not to burn the components in the lab). And my independent study classes with Silvan Schweber were truly inspirational. I greatly enjoyed my time at Brandeis! After Brandeis I went on to finish a Ph.D. in physics at Stanford with Steve Chu and Robert Laughlin, and then did two postdocs at NYU (Courant) and Columbia.

Website: http://www.thesciencebabe.com/

Biography: Déborah Berebichez is the first Mexican woman to graduate with a Ph.D. in physics from Stanford University. She is a physicist, author and media personality whose initiatives to popularize science have impacted thousands of people around the world. While at Stanford, she studied experimental biophysics for two years and then moved on to theoretical wave propagation in inhomogeneous media. She  invented a highly effective technique to focus wireless signals in targeted locations. This method allows for secure communications among desired users  inside buildings. The applications of this technique extend to the medical  and entertainment fields. Ms. Berebichez has also published research in the  field of nano-engineering.   In addition to her research in physics, Ms. Berebichez’s passion is to popularize science and motivate young minds to think analytically about the   world. This has led her to pioneer learning initiatives in schools and  universities in Mexico, Africa, the US and Israel. She is a frequent public speaker and has been recognized by numerous media outlets such  as Oprah, CNN, WSJ, WIRED, TEDx, DLD, City of Ideas, Dr. Oz Show, Celebrity Scientist and others. She regularly appears as a science expert on different international TV networks; currently she is the TV host of National Geographic’s “Humanly Impossible” show.

Daniel Kaplan, BS ’96

PhD from Stony Brook University Physics department in 2003
Worked at Intel
Married Alla Mann in 2005
Worked at Bayer HealthCare, Diabetes Care
Twin boys Zev Rosen and Benjamin Beresh were born in June of 2011
In August 2011 started working at Micro Systems Engineering, Inc (we make pace makers and implantable defibrillators) as Sr Supplier Development Engineer

Aaron Manela, BA ’96

I recently ended a 15 year career in information technology. Most recently I was the software architect for one of Cengage Learning’s online textbook supplement engines – the one backing PhysicsNow, the Serway series of physics textbook supplements.  This past spring I received an MA in Musicology from the University of Oregon in Eugene, and I have just started a PhD program in Musicology at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.  I live in Cleveland Heights, with my wife Sara and my 5 year old son Gabriel.

Baylor Fox-Kemper, MA  ’98

After 5 years of Colorado mountain fun, I have left the University of Colorado and have joined the Brown University Dept. of Geological Sciences.  I continue to work on ocean turbulence, and I am hoping to learn some new things about the history of the ocean circulations on longer timescales with my geology colleagues.   The fox-kemper.com/research link still works, but now it takes you somewhere new!

Dave Zucker BA ’98

I’m happily living in Seattle these days, working as a mechanical engineer in the product design field. Most recently, I worked at Microsoft in their PC Hardware Group where I lead the development of the Arc Touch Mouse. In July, we won the IDSA Gold Award for the unique design and hinge mechanism that lets the mouse transform shape from flat to curved. A piece I wrote about the mechanism is posted on the Hardware Blog. Having recently left my position at Microsoft, I’m currently enjoying a few weeks of down time before starting up a company of my own. Look forward to reading news of other graduates and hope that all’s well in the physics department.

Alexander Morgan BA ’99

I am starting medical school in the fall at Stanford, where I am currently a postdoc in biochemistry and where I also did my PhD in biomedical informatics.  Not much more to report, but I thought I should check in.  So much school. If it helps you to have information about alumni activities, this is what I’ve been up to:  http://www.stanford.edu/~alexmo/cv.html.  This is what I’ve been writing: http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=bqx3MAoAAAAJ

Sarah Yanes Wigodsky, BS ’99

I teach physics and electronics at Solomon Schechter School of  Westchester.

Gregory Sivakoff, BS ’00

After earning a M.Sc. in Radio Astronomy (2001; University of Manchester), M.Sc. in Astronomy (2003; University of Virginia), Ph.D. in Astronomy (2006; University of Virginia), Gregory Sivakoff was a postdoctoral researcher at The Ohio State University (2006-2008) and University of  Virginia (2008-2011). In April 2011, Gregory Sivakoff started his new position as an Assistant Professor at the University of  Alberta Department of Physics.  Professor Sivakoff’s research focuses on multi-wavelength astronomical observations of white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes (both stellar-mass and supermassive).  In February of this year, he was second author of a Nature paper (Reines et al. 2011), which suggested supermassive black holes that lie at the enters of galaxies may grow before the bulges of galaxies.  Greg’s interests also extend to the fields of Education & Public Outreach, leading or participating to a couple outreach projects each year.

Paul Keselman, BS ’02

Paul began the joint UCSF/UCB Ph. D. program in Bioengineering this fall, 2011.

Elana J. Fertig, BS, ’03Fertig

Dr. Fertig recently accepted a position as Assistant Professor at Johns Hopkins University in Oncology Biostatistics. Please visit her website.

Michael Greenberg, BS ’04

After Brandeis, I got my Ph.D. in biophysics from Boston University School of Medicine.  I am currently a postdoc at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.  My research is focused on understanding the biophysics of molecular motors at the single molecule and ensemble levels.

Shea Brown, MA ’05

I’m now a Bolton Fellow at the Australia Telescope National Facility where I work on cosmic-ray acceleration in clusters of galaxies (observation and theory). Looking forward to the blog!

Phil Selesnick, BS ’05

I am currently a medical dosimetrist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, designing treatment plans for radiation oncology patients. I’ve been here since March of last year and had been pursuing music before that.

Kongfatt Wong-Lin, PhD ’06

Kongfatt is a Lecturer (Computational Neuroscience), School of Computing and Intelligent Systems, University of  Ulster, UK.

Sam Rauhala, BS ’07  2013-10-31 21.19.14.jpgI’m currently in Pittsburgh teaching physics at The Ellis School, an all-girls independent school.  We just got a grant this past year from the E.E. Ford Foundation to overhaul our physics lab and curriculum.  We’re building what we’re calling an Active Learning Classroom and using the physics classes to pilot some significantly more group and project based curriculum.  It’s been a pretty fun year with it so far (it turns out having brand new equipment is amazing), and should lead to some interesting presentations and maybe some writing in the near future.  Going back a little further, I got a masters from CMU in ‘09 but didn’t stay to finish the PhD (I like the classroom a lot more than I like the lab).

Suong Mai Le, BA ’07

After graduating in 2007, I went to New York City to work at NERA Economic Consulting for 1 year. Then in 2008 I returned to Vietnam and worked at my family’s travel business (www.evivatour.com.vn) which specializes in serving tourists visiting Vietnam. I also teamed up with another Brandeis alumni to start one of the first wedding planning and honeymoon business in Vietnam (http://wedinstyle.net). I then received a full scholarship to do an MBA for 1 year at Hitotsubashi University in Tokyo, Japan. So I am in Tokyo right now and will graduate in August. After that, I plan to return to Vietnam to continue with my travel and wedding business.  Thank you so much for emailing me. I hope to come back to the US to visit Brandeis again some day! But I also hope that you or our Physics professors could visit Vietnam one day. I would be more than happy to welcome everyone.

Brianna Abrahms, BS ’08

I am currently writing from Botswana, where I am working as a research assistant for the Botswana Predator Conservation Trust studying large carnivore ecology. We study the five large predator species here: hyenas, African wild dogs, lions, leopards, and cheetahs, all of which we track with radio collars. (Update: Brianna  has begun a PhD in Ecology at UC Berkeley.)  http://www.conservationconnections.blogspot.com/

Emily Dare, BS ’08

I’m now at the University of Minnesota pursuing a PhD in Science Education after receiving an MS in Physics from Tufts University this past Spring. I just started two weeks ago and I have  a project titled: Inquiry-based Physical Science for Middle School Teachers. This is part of a larger grant called Improving Teacher Quality (ITQ for short). In my spare time, I’m planning my wedding for next June!

Kabir Husain, BS ’09

Kabir works at the National Centre for Biological Sciences in Bangalore, in Satyajit Mayor’s lab.

Michael Bell, PhD ’10

I am working at the Max Planck Institute for Astrophysics in Garching, Germany.

Daniel Beller, BS ’10 (see Alumni Profiles)

I have begun my third year in the graduate program at the University of Pennsylvania’s Department of Physics and Astronomy. Working in the group of Dr. Randall Kamien, and with collaborators at Penn’s Laboratory for Research on the Structure of Matter, I am investigating novel ways in which defects in liquid crystalline systems can be controlled through the geometry and topology of boundary conditions. Recently, I was awarded an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, as well as Penn’s Werner B. Teutsch Prize, an award given annually based on performance in first-year courses.

Doug Gobeille’s goldens: Scottie & Penny

Doug Gobeille, PhD ’10

I’m down at University of Southern Florida (USF) working as an assistant professor in our brand new Interdisciplinary Sciences Building.

Eugene Wolfson, BS, ’10

Eugene is a Software Engineer, MLB.com.

Netta Engelhardt, BS, ’11 (See Alumni Profiles)

Aaron Mowitz, BS, ’12

I was in Israel doing research in an experimental physics group at the Weizmann Institute of Science. Starting this fall 2013, I will be a PhD student in the University of Chicago Physics department.

Protected by Akismet
Blog with WordPress

Welcome Guest | Login (Brandeis Members Only)