Weighing in on CTE diagnosis

We noticed a new paper this week in Brain Research on chronic traumatic encephalopathy (brain damage from repeated blows to the head, which has been all over the news this year) from a Brandeis author, Madeline Engeler ’16, a Biology/HSSP double major.

We reached out to Madeline for the inside scoop, here’s what she told us:

Yes this is my paper. I am so excited it is finally published! […] This research came from the summer of 2014 when I was at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute. I was funded through Brandeis’ World of Work fellowship program and I gained credit for my HSSP hands-on experience.
This research came about from some of us in the lab reading papers about post-mortem diagnosis of CTE in NFL players. What was intriguing was that very similar morphologies were seen in the epileptic brain resections we were studying. So we decided to depart from our epileptic brain research and stained these samples with the same antibodies as in the CTE papers. We also obtained NFL brain samples from Dr. Mckee at BU to do our own staining. Our results showed remarkably similar images from the epileptic and CTE brains. This caused us to posit that perhaps the post-mortem diagnosis of CTE is too broad because it encompasses other neurological conditions, such as epilepsy.

You can read the paper for yourself online:

Puvenna V, Engeler M, Banjara M, Brennan C, Schreiber P, Dadas A, Bahrami A, Solanki J, Bandyopadhyay A, Morris JK, Bernick C, Ghosh C, Bazarian JJ, Janigro D. Is phosphorylated tau unique to chronic traumatic encephalopathy? Phosphorylated tau in epileptic brain and chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Brain Res. 2015.

Protected by Akismet
Blog with WordPress

Welcome Guest | Login (Brandeis Members Only)