Featured Summer Instructor

Randall Geller (2011)

I’m a Brandeis Ph.D. in Middle Eastern history with a specialization in the Arab-Israeli Conflict, and this will be my fourth year teaching in the Brandeis Summer School Program.  I love teaching at Brandeis in the summer and look forward to meeting you in class!

I’ve spent significant time in the Middle East; before I became a professor I was a tour guide and journalist in Jerusalem, Israel. I speak Hebrew and Arabic, and this is a region that has long fascinated me and I’m sure always will.  I’ll be teaching two courses this summer; in session 1 I’ll be teaching Arab-Israeli Conflict, and in session 2 I’ll be teaching the Making of the Modern Middle East.

I’m excited about the publication of my first book due out in August, entitled Minorities in the Israeli Military, 1948-1958.  It deals with the drafting of the Druze and Circassian minorities into the Israel Defense Forces and the recruitment of Muslim and Christian Arabs too; the dilemmas of drafting non-Jews suspect of potentially identifying with hostile forces in the neighboring Arab world made for fascinating research and writing! Here’s a link to the book’s website, which includes advance reviews:

https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781498541633/Minorities-in-the-Israeli-Military-1948%E2%80%9358#

In keeping with the spirit of both courses, we’ll also have Middle Eastern food in the middle of as well as at the conclusion of each semester – if you haven’t tried it, I’m sure you’ll love it!

See you in class!