Tiny Chaos

Internetholics – a neglected species or slowly taking over the world?

September 8th, 2011 · 3 Comments

What is the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning? Some people may say take a shower, use the bathroom, have a coffee or even a cigarette. Well, the first thing I do in the morning is grab my iPhone and check my mails, my Whatsapp, my Facebook, my Twitter, my Google+ and every other platform that could have a message waiting for me. As soon as I actually get up I open my laptop and more or less check the same things again – just on a bigger screen. Sometimes I supplement this information with the latest news or the weather forecast for that day.

This daily ritual makes one thing crystal clear: I am an Internetholic!

I am not ashamed of this though and I strongly believe I am not the only one of my kind out there. People are online all the time and everywhere, aren’t they?
To make myself feel better I sat down and did some research online – of course – and made some pretty impressive findings: In the US more people than ever before are connected to the internet, Smartphone sales are exploding and almost 50% of the population have a Facebook account.

But what does this mean for our society? That the average Americans are slowly outgrown by us Internetholics? I am sure you have met a bunch of us addicts. Or, in fact, if you are reading this, you are most likely one of us. (Click here for a self check)

I personally may be spending way more time than the average person online but this does not mean I am wasting it surfing aimlessly through the World Wide Web. Actually I just found out (here) that the top activity online is browsing Social Media platforms. This means we are actually using the internet to talk to each other. Therefore in my opinion the intenet is mainly accomplishing one thing: It is connecting us!

The most prominent example this year of how Facebook connects people is probably Egypt’s “Facebook Revolution”. A bunch of Egyptians used Facebook to organize a protest on January 25th 2011, which later led to the Egyptian revolution. This does not mean that without Facebook the revolution had not happened but it definitely helped speed things up a bit.

Or lets take me as an example: I just recently moved to the US for an exchange semester. Had I been in this situation about 15 years ago, how would I ever have been able to stay in touch with my friends back home? You might say phone calls. –Yeah right, have you checked the prices for calls from the US to Europe? I would have been forced to select one favorite family member and one favorite friend, because I simply would not have been able to afford to call more people.

The intenet gives a means of overcoming this very problem. It makes it easy for everyone of us to connect with one another. You can find long lost childhood friends on Facebook, make professional contacts on Linkedin, read Tweets from your favorite celebrity or share funny Youtube videos. The opportunities to connect are endless!

I am not ignorant – I know the internet does not only bring positive things with it. Undoubtedly there are a lot of ways to waste time or even do some “unorthodox” things online and you obviously have to be aware of what information you are putting out there. Once something is out, it’s out and you will never get it back.

But the truth is: I don’t really care. And I bet most of my fellow Internetholics feel the same way. We cannot waste time worrying about what drawbacks the internet has, we are simply busy taking over the world!

Tags: Home

3 responses so far ↓

• Interview Questions and Answers // Sep 14th 2011 at 4:32 am

I love your blog, you should add an RSS feed feature so I can get automatic notifications of new blogs. If you set one up please email me! i will bookmark you for now. Again Excellent Blog!

• employer // Sep 15th 2011 at 5:51 pm

Taking over the world…
    Strong words for exchanging information, which is in most cases unnecessary and meaningless. 
    The question that matters in all this ‘connectivity’ is: Who cares?
    People check in at places or let others know that they are having a coffee with a friend right now. The question applies again: Who cares that you do that. To nine out of ten shared information the thought of a ‘friend’ or a follower is ‘good for you’, but did this crumble of information or better put ‘desperation for attention’ make te world a better place? I say NO.

The function of an advanced international connectivity is absolutely beneficial for every person, who can afford the internet. Yet, calls meant more back in the days where you couldn’t call anyone at anytime. To have a conversation with a loved one a one a month was worth telling, today it may be handled as ‘yeah, a friend just called from Honduras…nothing special’. But considering the benefits te Internet does help a lot of people to stay in touch which is to be appreciated. 

Now let’s get to the lovely Internetholics. 50% of the population…would help if you wrote 50% of the U.S. population, because I didn’t get the memo about 3.5 billion people having a FB account. 
    Nevertheless, being online at all times is more proof for social incompetence than social connectivity. Ever saw a group of 10 people where 7 out of ten are busy with their phone instead of having a good time with eachother? I have. Family dinners where the daughter says: sorry, my friend just wrote me on whatsapp and i have to write her back. I pitty the people who are online constantly, IF there is a better way to enjoy the time. Or, here is a crazy idea: if you have a job -> don’t waste it on FB, you could actually get something done. Make something instead of following other dispensable threads, and then you might be able to take over the world

• Vera // Sep 15th 2011 at 10:42 pm

Also ICH liebe dich!!! LOL