Learning and Creating at UFE

Wow, I can’t believe I’m over halfway through my time with United for a Fair Economy.

It’s been a very interesting, educational, and positive experience. I really enjoy interacting with all of the other people at UFE. They make me feel supported and appreciated, and I can’t stress enough how important that is at a job or internship. They are also supportive in teaching me things, giving feedback on my work, and collaborating to accomplish tasks.

After the end of fiscal year gift processing died down, I was able to accomplish a lot more on my individual projects – the projects I chose at the beginning and some more that came up along the way!

MataHari, with whom we share an office and consider a “sister” organization, had a great success recently with the passage of the Massachusetts Domestic Workers’ Bill of Rights! We went to the signing and I wrote a blog post about it.

DWBoR1I also created a donor survey to find out more about who our donors are, their feelings and thoughts about UFE, what we’re doing well and what we can do better, etc.  Suzanna, the Director of Development, gave me some materials on donor surveys and helped me formulate questions. We’ll be launching that soon and tracking the results.

I also got to design a one-panel info card to replace their outdated brochure! It’s double-sided: English on one side, Spanish on the other (I even got to create a Spanish version of the UFE logo, which was quite a challenge! I’m still not sure I completely understand how paths work in Adobe Illustrator, but I managed). We tried to keep it simple and informative, attractive, and readable. After my first draft, I sent it out for feedback from the staff and worked with the new Communications Coordinator to make it consistent with UFE’s branding. I’m proud of the final product. And the Popular Education team is heading to an event this weekend, and bringing copies of my info card to hand out!

New UFE Brochure 3 New UFE Brochure 3-p2

I’ve learned more about the economy, as well. Suzanna lent me a copy of Inequality for All, the new documentary by Robert Reich on income inequality in the U.S. In meetings and other conversations, I’ve learned about interesting ideas such as post office banking. And one day, one of the Program Coordinators screened this great clip from John Oliver about the wealth gap.

I can’t believe I’m approaching the end of my time at UFE. Certain people have already started trying to convince me to stay instead of going back to school. 🙂 Although I won’t be able to do that, I’m appreciating the time I do have left.