The Final Performance at Williamstown Theatre Festival

As my last performance here at Williamstown Theatre Festival came to a close, I couldn’t help but reflect on all of the amazing experiences that I had throughout this summer. I definitely feel that I met my defined learning goals academically, professionally, and personally as a Stage Management Intern at WTF. After this internship, I believe that I am a much better stage manager and I cannot wait to apply everything I learned to future endeavors.

Here I am at the opening night gala of And No More Shall We Part.

Interning at WTF  helped clarify my career interests. Before coming to Williamstown, I thought that I wanted to work in higher level theaters in Washington D.C. and then eventually move to New York. After working alongside many New York theater professionals, I have discovered that I want to move to New York right out of college in order to eventually work on Broadway.

I would greatly recommend an internship at Williamstown Theatre Festival. However, it is important to go into the job knowing that you are going to work a lot of hours and be beaten down to be built back up better than you were when you started. Working at WTF is extremely intense, but you learn so much about yourself, your work, and how you fit into this industry. You are able to work alongside some of the top theater artists in the country and become part of an amazing community that will ensure that you will be successful in your career. Working at WTF is also so much fun (people often compare it to theater camp, since you are working and living with about 350 other people who work in the theater in some capacity). Here is a video that the WTF company created at the end of the summer.

These are 13 out of 15 Stage Management interns. We all became extremely close throughout the summer.

All internships in the theater industry are extremely different depending on the level of the theater and the specific field in the theater that you are interning in. I have now experienced 2 Stage Management internships and they were incredibly different, but equally rewarding. It is important to understand the internship before you accept it-some theaters have developed internship programs, while some just hire interns. Although both have their own advantages, with a specific internship program, you often get to attend specialized workshops and work alongside other interns. Both summers I worked in a specific internship program, but last year I was one of three Stage Management interns and this year I was one of fifteen. The main difference in my two experiences is that Williamstown Theatre Festival is bigger in every way.

I am most proud of my ability to fit into and be successful in a rehearsal room alongside theater professionals. Working on And No More Shall We Part was an incredible experience where I felt respected in the room while working with Alfred Molina and Jane Kaczmarek. This show was a beautiful piece of theater and it was amazing to develop such close relationships with actors who have had long successful careers and are much older than I am.

The Stage Management team, crew, and cast of And No More Shall We Part.

~Hannah Mitchell ’17, Theater WOW Recipient