Concluding Thoughts on My Experience at Massachusetts Peace Action

After concluding my internship with Massachusetts Peace Action, I have been able to take some time to reflect on my experiences, both positive and negative, over the past twelve weeks. Overall, my internship went very well and I learned far more than expected! Through my encounters in the office and at community events, I have been able to expand my professional network while making friendships that I am sure will endure as I enter the next stages in my life and career.

I realize now that social justice, though the term has many connotations, is fighting for the rights and ideas of those people who have been most devastated by oppressive political and socioeconomic institutions. As a Legislative/ Political intern, I tracked legislation on international conflicts including the wars in Syria, Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Yemen, relations with Iran, Israel/Palestine, nuclear weapons policy, and defense appropriations bills. Additionally, I updated Massachusetts Peace Action’s various social media accounts, including Facebook and Twitter, on news and other related material. I even contacted legislative offices directly to communicate about our issues as well as Peace Action supporters to ask them to contact legislative offices.

Though I worked primarily on-site in Cambridge, I attended several MAPA events, oversaw information tables at the Cambridge River Festival, Lowell Folk Festival, our Distinguished Peacebuilders Series, and helped plan commemorations for the atomic attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It was truly special to attend the second anniversary of the death of Michael Brown.

August 9, 2016 ~ Activists arrive on Boston Common for a MAPA event to commemorate 71st anniversary of the atomic attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the 2nd anniversary of the death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, MO.

Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 10.44.44 PM

In general, I participated in efforts to communicate with United States legislators and other officials with local or international political power that the alienation of distinct religious, ethnic, or racial groups in this country and abroad is no longer acceptable. I also shared that inclusion is a necessary step if we are to foster a sustainable planet on ethical and environmental grounds.