The Mission Has No End

This summer I was able to complete the learning goals that I defined before starting. I think a big part of this was that I knew what to expect since it was my second summer with One Mission. Last summer the learning goals I set were not as in line with the work I ended up doing because I did not know what to expect, this year I was better able to gauge what the experience would be like before I started. The reason I was so eager to return to One Mission this summer is because they are exactly the type of organization I want to work for. My passion is pediatric cancer and a few years ago I discovered that within the realm of pediatric cancer nonprofit work, I am most passionate about that which is not medical based. One of my favorite things about OM is how big of an impact they have on the daily lives of these patients and families during treatment (http://onemission.org/what-we-do/). Research is so important but it is difficult to complete a lot of tedious work for things that may or may not end up helping anyone and even if they do it might take so long that you don’t see the benefits in your lifetime.

In the workplace this summer I learned that my work is valuable. My boss and the other members of the organization were always so grateful of everything I did because it at times made their jobs easier. I spent a lot of time creating a proposal that is being sent to a greeting card designer in hopes of working together to develop an empathy card that appropriately address the emotions that pediatric cancer patients and their families are feeling. I met with a few different people in the office multiple times as I edited my project and improved the content. By the end of my internship I was really proud of the proposal I had created and am hoping that it will lead to a forming of this partnership.

My advice to those who want to either work at One Mission or a similar organization is to be patient. I say this for two big reasons. My first reason is that sometimes there is only so much work to be done and they might have to send you home early. For a small organization that does not always have interns, they only take on so much and do not always have extra projects laying around waiting for an intern to complete. My other reason for saying this is that at times you will be doing a lot of tedious work. I have spent hours upon hours inputting check donations into our fundraising system or trying to come up with tweets for our twitter account (https://twitter.com/buzzforkids). These are things that I know are very helpful in the end but at the time can make your eyeballs feel like they are about to fall out. My two favorite experiences from this summer were the days that I got to help out with their programs. One day this summer my boss, the other intern and I went and served dinner at a pasta night funded by One Mission. It was great to get to see all of the patients first hand and how thankful the families were for the food.

My boss Mel, other intern Rob and I serving dinner during a pasta night.

My other favorite was when I got to go shopping for toys for the treasure chest with one of the members of the Board of Directors. The two of us went to target and filled a shopping cart with hundreds of dollars worth of toys, books and educational materials. After we labeled all of them and sorted them to be delivered to the oncology floor at Children’s Hospital Boston. It was great to go on the monthly shopping trip to purchase toys for the Treasure Chest program that I had heard so much about.

Jen Rossman

image1
All of the new toys that were added to the Treasure Chest on the oncology unit at Boston Children’s Hospital in August.