Wrapping Up My Internship With The UN

My lovely Ministry for Women, Community and Social Development —Division for Youth team

My internship in Samoa has been an unforgettable experience. Before embarking on this internship I set the following goals for myself:

• Academic goal: To learn from my experience working in Samoa, the core skills and practical knowledge that will help me better understand the relevance of my studies at Brandeis to real-world development challenges.
  • Career goal: To conduct primary research in creative and innovative ways that will enhance my understanding of how technology may be used for youth empowerment and sustainable development.
  • Personal goal: To learn how to balance working in a professional environment with my spiritual and social life.

I feel that I achieved all of these goals during my intensely busy two-month internship at UNDP. Among my various jobs at UNDP and at the Ministry of Women, Community and Social Development, I found myself doing administrative work, conducting research and surveys, writing reports and providing technological support to others. These activities reinforced my learning at Brandeis and also highlighted the areas where I will want to do further studies at Brandeis.

A large and very exciting project I worked on this summer has been with the establishment of a Samoan/New Zealand government initiative called the High Tech Youth Network in Samoa. I was given the opportunity to assist with primary research for HTYN by designing and carrying out a survey, which we called a “snapshot” on youth perceptions of technology in Samoa.  As the director of the project is an administrator rather than a tech expert, I was also able to provide advice and support of this nature. I am especially proud of my work for HTYN because I felt able to contribute significantly. To date, the project has been implemented primarily by the director and with my support, so I have a great sense of ownership regarding this endeavor.

The personal goal above was the hardest one to achieve. I was pulled in so many directions, both at work and also in the community with my friends. I was called upon to help in many work situations that were not technically my responsibility but I found it impossible to refuse when asked to do something. And many times I jumped in because I really wanted to be involved. An example was working on various projects with the ILO (International Labor Organization), another UN agency, including a video project and several reports.

I officially finished working at UNDP on the 12th of August, however, for about a week after I had been going regularly back in to the Division for Youth office and also meeting with the in-country project manager for the High Tech Youth Network. On my last day in the office, I was surprised when all the staff called me to come sit down for a meeting. It was actually a farewell they had organized, and they gave me gifts! We also had cake together. It was a very heartfelt moment that I will remember, and I will continue to strengthen these friendships I have made this summer.

– Ben Percival