Intro

My name is Emma Bers. My experience with journalism has so far been entirely on the side of the reader/listener/watcher. I am interested in getting well out of my comfort zone and learning about the reporting and especially the writing and production sides of journalism. I’m interested in writing for television and radio and equally interested in learning more about the technical aspects of editing that material.  In general, I am a pretty shy person and I think taking a journalism class will push me to be more outgoing. I also believe knowing more about how pieces are created will made me a more informed and thoughtful media consumer. As far as types of stories I am interested in, they are pretty widespread.

As far as on campus, there are many events going on that get such limited publicity, and I have a hard time getting people to go to hear speakers and other performers or notable people. It would be interesting  not only to attend and cover these events but also explore why so many of these events are so sparsely attended.

An on campus news story that happened recently was that construction began on new dorms near the Castle. Although the construction itself isn’t all that interesting, I always find new buildings of interest and I think the Brandeis community does too. I think the dorms are supposed to be energy efficient, which is not a feature of many buildings on campus as far as I know.

It is difficult to choose just one off-campus news event that interests me. Right now, though, the Berkeley protest in response to Milo Yiannopoulos’ scheduled visit to campus is especially striking to me. I think this story has so many angles and facets to explore. The story involves on a basic level, violence and more examples of protests that have seemed to be constant since Trump’s inauguration. There were fireworks, bonfires and police intervention, all of which are interesting and newsworthy on their own. More interestingly to me, however,It also deals with the idea of free speech and what that means to different people. Critics slammed the protest for shutting down free speech because the protesters were successful in cancelling Milo’s speech. Others disagree and say that the protest itself was an expression of free speech. This story also hits home for me because I live very close to Berkeley and know many students who attend and witnessed the protest first-hand.