Members of the Brandeis GPS Community may submit job postings from within their industries to advertise exclusively to our community. This is a great way to further connect and seek out opportunities as they come up. If you are interested in posting an opportunity, please complete the following form found here.
Where: Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY
About: Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) was founded in 1863 and is recognized as a world leader in musculoskeletal medicine. Though located in New York City, HSS treats patients from throughout the New York City Metropolitan Area, New York State, the United States, and over 90 countries who seek its internationally recognized specialized care. HSS has 215 beds and 36 operating rooms and performs more than 29,000 surgeries per year. HSS performs more hip surgeries and more knee replacements than any other hospital in the nation. HSS surgeons who specialize in joint replacement perform, on average, 365 of these operations every year. In addition, it handles more than 400,000 non-surgical outpatient visits annually. It is an affiliate of the New York-Presbyterian Healthcare System and Weill Cornell Medical College. It has one of the most sought-after residency programs and its graduates hold prominent positions in hospitals throughout the country.
Position: Senior Director, Enterprise Budget (SDEB)
Position Details: The Senior Director, Enterprise Budget (SDEB) will report to the Vice President of Budget and Financial Forecasting. He/she will also work closely with other members of Finance management, and senior leadership/management throughout HSS.
The SDEB will be responsible for the hospital’s patient-revenue budgeting process, including the development and oversight of the patient-revenue budget model. Working with key stakeholders throughout the organization, he/she will manage the annual budgeting process and develop the annual budget for all external entities/collaborations (e.g., Fund Inc., Properties Corporation, HSS ASC of Manhattan LLC., Stamford Health/collaboration, HS2). The Senior Director will evaluate the current processes for budgeting and take a lead role in advancing the systems in furtherance of strategic goals.
He/she will have deep knowledge of, and direct the development of, every component of HSS’s budgets, including, but not limited to: income statements for all divisions/entities, balance sheets, strategic initiatives, and volume/patient revenue. The SDEB will manage a Senior Analyst for Enterprise Budget.
- Develop an extensive understanding of the hospital, its strategy and mission, its operations and finances, and its integrated strategic financial plan.
- Manage the annual budget-development process for all external entities and collaborations to include, but not limited to: Fund Inc., Properties Corporation, HSS ASC of Manhattan LLC., Stamford Health/collaboration, HS2. For these entities, analyze and explain variances throughout the year.
- Manage the patient-revenue budgeting process; develop and oversee the patient-revenue budgeting model; analyze and explain patient-revenue variances.
- Work with key stakeholders to develop annual volume budgets, key commercial and government rate assumptions, and monthly spreads on volume and revenue.
- With the VP of Budget and Financial Forecasting, conduct monthly reviews of the financial performance and update overall financial projections (P/Ls, cash flows, etc.) for the year.
- Assist with the preparation of monthly reporting packages and dashboards for distribution to senior leadership.
- Develop and coordinate all supporting budget documents required for Board presentations, annual budget book, management presentations, etc.
- Advise VP of Budget and Financial Forecasting and Director of Financial Planning on relevant assumptions for the annual five-year forecast.
- Help evaluate the capabilities of the IBM budget system and other potential software tools; lead the development of a world-class, interactive, and comprehensive budget tool.
- Manage all projects through a systematic approach that translates work plans into deliverables, with measurable outcomes, on a timely and cost-effective basis.
- Stay current on developments in hospital/healthcare finance and industry dynamics; provide strategic counsel and new thinking that add value to the institution.
- Manage and mentor personnel; help build a highly capable and engaged team and foster a team-centered culture wholly consistent with that of the hospital.
- Establish best practices; improve processes, systems, and methods of work to achieve the highest level of productivity and service to all constituents.
- Establish strong working relationships with financial leadership and colleagues of interfacing departments, as well as key personnel at HSS entities and collaborations.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance or related major is required. Advanced degrees are desirable, but not required.
- Solid experience (7-10 years0 in hospital budgeting and finance is required. Experience in a successful, dynamic, and growing organization is highly desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory, team-related experience is required.
- Proven experience with all aspects of finance and budgeting in hospital environments (e.g., income statements for all divisions/entities, balance sheets, capital budgets, strategic initiatives, and volume/patient revenue, etc.)
- Expertise in planning and developing budgets and financial plans for a hospital(s), as well as for external entities and collaborations.
- Experience working with budgeting systems and maximizing functionality through productivity enhancements and better reporting applications.
- Capable of quickly gaining a strong understanding of the operations and finances of the hospital and its integrated strategic plan.
- Experience in leading and achieving results in a matrixed environment and working with various internal and external stakeholders.
- Technology and system savvy. Strong Excel, Word, and PowerPoint skills. Familiarity with IBM Cognos TM1 and Epic is a plus.
- Strong financial, analytical, and problem-solving skills. Experience resolving issues through innovative problem solving and solution development.
- “Big-picture” thinker, with ability to carry out high-level analyses and relate findings to strategic goals.
- Possesses a continuous-improvement mind-set. Tackles challenges and issues with a fresh approach; is creative and thinks “out of the box.”
- Proven leadership and motivational skills. Demonstrated experience leading and managing employees and teams through well-established performance management skills.
- Detailed, thorough, well organized and disciplined, with the ability to proactively manage multiple priorities/projects and meet tight deadlines.
- Good written and oral communication skills; good listening capability; skilled at clearly and concisely communicating with all constituencies; can structure and effectively lead business meetings.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; success at cultivating strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and creating partnerships at all levels in an
- Unquestionable personal integrity. Exudes credibility and professionalism. Very likeable. Quickly builds confidence in others. Team player and understands his/her role in relationship to others.
- A highly committed, results-driven individual, with the necessary drive and stamina to respond to the demands of the institution and work collaboratively to achieve results.
Benefits: The compensation and comprehensive benefit package is competitive.
Apply: To receive full consideration for this position candidates should send a current resume in Word format and a summary of relevant experience/credentials to:
Chiharu (Cara) Arai, Senior Engagement Director: 3D Leadership, LLC – email@example.com
Please make sure to reference seeing this position through the Brandeis GPS job spotlight post.
Not subscribed to our blog?
Click here to subscribe!