Hi everyone, my name is Katie Decker-Jacoby and I am a junior studying American Studies and Journalism. I can’t wait to study abroad in Copenhagen this spring, but for now, I am excited to chronicle my time in EL 13A through this blog. I’ve experienced the writing side of journalism in my Brandeis classes and at The Hoot, but have never dealt with the photography, video, audio aspect of journalism. However, when I am writing articles, I tend to gravitate towards arts and culture topics. I am guessing my creations in this class will follow those interests, but I am also eager to potentially broaden my horizons.

In terms of on-campus leads, The Hoot printed an article about how Brandeis ranked 10th in the “Least Beautiful Campus” list, according to The Princeton Review’s 2018 edition of “The Best 382 Colleges.” It might be interesting to capture Brandeis’ unseen or understated beauty, proving The Princeton Review’s ranking inaccurate. Brandeis’ campus may not have the architectural flair of Claremont McKenna College or University of California, San Diego, but it sure does have its moments of beauty.

One upcoming on-campus event that would be great to cover is the Rose Art Museum’s fall exhibition opening, which takes place this Thursday, September 7. The Rose has such a vast, diverse, vibrant collection, I’d be interested in photographing this fall’s exciting lineup and how this opening brings community members from all over to appreciate art together.

It would also be worth it to visually document the demolition of the Usen Castle and the construction of the new building. A series of photographs or a video could outline the project’s progress and the evolution of this dying historical landmark.

In regards to an off-campus story lead, one local event that could be covered is the weekly Waltham Farmer’s Market. A host of local vendors sells their own products at this function and documenting a Saturday at the market could make community members more aware of the environmental and financial importance of supporting local vendors.

I am excited to see how this class will open my eyes to happenings around campus, Waltham, Boston and the world in general, using technology that I am quite unfamiliar with, but excited to master.