Pre Departure

This summer shadowing program is one of the biggest things I’ve ever done for a summer, and one of the more important things. I’ve never taken my future into account this heavily before, so I’m incredibly nervous and excited. I’m most excited to finally see what exactly goes on “behind-the-scenes” in the medical field. I’m also excited to gain experience with talking to professionals and learning more about the field; I’m not 100% set on doing pre-med, but hopefully after shadowing, it’ll help me figure out my future better. Maybe I’ll go into pharmacy, or physical therapy, who knows.

I’m super nervous about actually going into the hospital. I’m extremely squeamish, it’s pretty bad, so I don’t know if I’ll be able to make it out of whatever I see alive. I’m also a bit nervous about just networking. There’s no way to practice networking in a class or online; you’re thrust into the situation and have to learn from there. I’m hoping this experience will help me out after, but for now, I’m still nervous.

My expectations for this experience are basically to just figure out how I want to go about my future, whether I want to go through pre-med or switch gears. I hope I’ll be able to see what makes doctors willing to go through all the years of medical school, and if the commitment is worth it.

The primary goal is just to figure out if I want to continue on the pre-med track, or diverge off into something related. Becoming a doctor was something my¬†father always pushed on me, so I’ve never been sure of whether or not I actually would like it. My biggest hope is that I’ll come out of the program with a better understanding of what I want to do with my future.

~ Alice G.

This entry was posted in Pre Departure, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.