Pre-departure

As a senior in high school, I was fortunate enough to have been placed in a program at my school called the Allied Health Academy. This program was designed to provide to high school students with aspirations to pursue careers in the health field the opportunity to experience being in a hospital setting. Through this program, I was placed on the surgical floor at the Whidden Hospital where I shadowed many outstanding surgeons. It was a very enriching experience even though I was only able to do it for a couple of hours per week. Thinking back about how I felt three years before I began my shadowing experience, and comparing it to how I feel now, the parallels are astonishing. Though I now have prior experience with shadowing and volunteering in a hospital, which I did not have three years ago, I am still incredibly nervous about this summer.

Although I have a general idea of what to expect now, I realize that no two shadowing experiences are the same and therefore no prior experience can truly prepare me for it. Both three years ago and now, I find myself being most nervous about getting used to the new hospital setting. However, while I may be nervous, I am also beyond excited in anticipation of what I will be learning this summer. Knowing how much I’ve gained from my shadowing experience from three years ago, I am certain that I will come out of this experience with yet more knowledge in medicine and on what it means to be a doctor, and with a renewed passion for medicine.

Taisha Joseph – Cambridge Health Alliance

This entry was posted in Pre Departure, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.