Midway Point

This past week and a half observing in both the operating room and in clinic both confirmed some suspicions and completely refuted others.  For example, the operating room (contrary to Hollywood movies) tends to be a relaxed and happy environment when dealing with operations typically associated with lower risk and complexity.  Further, the health codes and necessary protocol followed in the operating room is as highly regarded and followed as anticipated.  In clinic, I have been granted a unique opportunity to interact with patients from pre-op to observing their operations to post-op recovery and check ups.

The operating room is everything I hoped for and more.  The seamless interactions between the medical professionals and the direct, immediate impact doctors have on their patients is mesmerizing.  Further, being here has proved my worries from before the start of the program futile.  Observing surgery has been nothing short of incredible, and I have truly been too captivated to worry about myself handling the surgeries.

Observing medicine differs greatly from that of learning in a classroom environment.  While both relate in the information used, this shadowing opportunity has shown me the application of medical knowledge in a practical setting, using that gained in the classroom to actively help others.  In clinic, there is no consulting a text-book when a patient needs a diagnosis.  When applying medicine, there is little room for faltering or error.  Further, when practicing surgery, while one can be taught the steps needed to succeed, it is an art that truly requires a form tangible interaction and firsthand practice to build the skills to aptly perform surgery.

– Tamir Zitelny, Long Island Jewish Medical Center

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.