Tracy – Pre Departure

This summer I will be working with Dr. Weinstein and Dr. Hudson at the MGH OB/GYN clinic. I’ll be helping out with research while also having shadowing opportunities.

To be completely honest, I’m not really sure what to expect yet. I know that my research will be related to compiling a database for patients, but I’m not sure what my role in that research will be. I think once things start rolling though, I’ll have a clearer idea of what my purpose is and how I can best support everyone else in their work.

I definitely think this is a great opportunity to learn more! Currently, I don’t have a great amount of healthcare experience, nor have I shadowed before. I do volunteer regularly for hospice, which has helped me learn so much about how a patient’s relationship with their own health and livelihood is unique and deserving of respect. Hospice volunteering has also helped me to understand what different parts of a team work together for the better of a patient – from the doctors and nurses, to the chaplains and social workers – but I have always witnessed these things from the “patient’s side.”

I hope that through working with Dr. Weinstein and Dr. Hudson, I can gain a better understanding of each healthcare professional’s role in a hospital setting, while witnessing the teamwork and diagnostic process from the “other side.” Especially in such a high-pressure setting that has such potential for burn-out, I would like to learn how professionals care for themselves, what drives them, who they are, and what’s important to them that helps them stay strong in this environment and care for others. I hope that through this experience and hearing stories from the “professional’s side,” I can apply what I’ve learned to myself and work hard to achieve my goals, both career-related and self-care wise.

I am also excited to improve my research skills, since research is something that I’ll be doing this upcoming year at school (hopefully!!). I’ve never done research before, mostly due to my jobs and schedule, but I’ve always been super into making Excel sheets and formulas, math, lab courses, super nerdy stuff like that (yeah, exciting stuff, right?). I do regret not reaching out to professors at Brandeis for research opportunities earlier in my undergraduate years, but I feel so lucky that I will have this MGH opportunity to learn research skills, while also being a part of a project that can also help others. I think this will also be a good way to increase my (currently very limited!) skill set, so that I can be of use to my PI this upcoming school year, while also making good use of my time and effort!

I’m super fortunate that everyone has been so nice and supportive during the internship setup process – the faculty and doctors at MGH, the Brandeis pre-health department and my fellow internship student. I’m looking forward to meeting new people and learning as much as I can from them!

This entry was posted in Pre Departure, MGH. Bookmark the permalink.