Lydia, Pre-Departure

I am greatly looking forward to beginning my time shadowing Dr. Milena Weinstein in the urogynecology department. In addition to observing interactions with patients, I hope to learn more about the research that goes on in this department.

While I am not sure what to expect, this being my first time shadowing, I am very excited to familiarize myself with the day-to-day activities of a doctor and what happens behind the scenes. I am especially interested in learning more about the electronic medical system, as it is an integral part of modern medicine.

Additionally, I hope that this experience will give me more insight into the field of medicine that I might want to pursue based on talking to doctors in the department. Because the medical field is so vast, it is hard to narrow in on a topic and lifestyle that is of particular interest.

Because my main experience with doctors is from the patient perspective, I am curious as to the techniques that are used by physicians to assess and diagnose patients. I would like to learn more about how doctors develop their own style of patient assessment.

I am excited to learn more about how physicians, nurses, and other members of the hospital team work together and what their various roles are. It must take a great deal of communication for a large-scale hospital such as MGH to function and provide excellent patient care.

I am hopeful that this experience will not only be interesting, but also give me insight into what I would like to do in the future.

This entry was posted in Pre Departure, MGH. Bookmark the permalink.