Introductory Post

Hello, I’m Ryan Bowen. I’m from Spencer, Massachusetts and I’m currently a first year student. I don’t even know what my interests in journalism are. I have no prior journalism experience, nor have I ever taken any previous classes on it. I was curious in learning more about what journalism is and what happens behind the scenes before it makes it to print or air, which is what led me to taking “Writing for Broadcast and the Internet.” Outside of a slight interest in learning more, I don’t know much about journalism and don’t really know where my interests lay or what I may want to do a story on.

An on-campus news item that intrigued me was the recent decision by Brandeis to ban the usage of both drones and hoverboards on campus. I originally saw the e-mails sent out about the policy changes during break, and have since read the article posted in The Hoot. I think it’s understandable as to why they need to halt on-campus usage of such devices, as they are both very new and could use regulations so as not to cause problems. The Hoverboards spontaneously combusting is also a major danger to people.

For an off-campus news story, the recent report of evidence supporting the existence of Planet 9, the potential ninth planet intrigues me. I’ve always had an interest in space and the planets, and find it even more interesting that the scientist predicting the existence of Planet 9 is the same one who first proposed and led the debate that change Pluto from being an actual planet to its new state as a dwarf planet.

One Response to “Introductory Post”