Story Idea/Pitch

Admittedly, I’ve had a hard time trying to come up with a story pitch, and haven’t locked one down yet for certain. So on that note, I’m going to post two potential story pitches for the moment.

One possibility is that I know somebody who is in Student Events this year. I could talk to her about what Student Events does, how she got involved with them, what events they have done already, what events they are planning, and why they do what they do. I could try to include pictures from around Brandeis and possibly from events going being held around the university.

A second possibility is trying to do a story about the recent ban of hoverboards. This would require me finding somebody who used a hoverboard prior to the university’s decision to ban them, and discuss with them the effects the ban has had on them, what the benefits are to hoverboards, what their thoughts are on the ban, what they are doing in response to the ban, and what other hoverboard users are considering. I would likely need to get photographs of hoverboards and maybe of the hoverboard user(s) to go along with the audio

2 Responses to “Story Idea/Pitch”

1. Mark Dellelo says:

Hi Ryan,

Your second topic is closer to a story idea than your first topic. From what you wrote, it isn’t clear why you’re interested in reporting about Student Events other than because you happen to know someone who works for them. Perhaps you can arrive at a story idea by asking yourself some questions about this person. What kind of person is she? Why and how did she become involved in student events? You should try to answer some of these questions before your interview, and then, once you have thought them over, generate more specific questions to ask her.

The hoverboard story sounds more promising at the moment, since you do have a specific investigative angle, regarding the disruption that Brandeis’s ban may have caused to this subculture.

2. storys says:

First off I want to say great blog! I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you don’t mind.
    I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your mind before writing.
    I have had a difficult time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out there.
    I do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted simply just trying to
    figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips? Thank you!