Archived Ad: Recent grad seeks alternative social science research paths

I graduated from Brandeis University in 2016 with a degree in psychology and sociology. I currently work at Brandeis at the Cohen Center for Modern Jewish Studies, assisting in social science demographic research on Jewish communities. This is a two-year gig, and once it’s up I’d like to move onto something else. But I am completely in the dark with what I’d like to do! I am interested in human behavior and social science, however, I don’t know if social science research is the right path for me. From what I’ve seen, it contains sitting in front of a computer and dealing with spreadsheets all day. Additionally, I don’t want to go into academia. Is there a path that social science researchers can take that entails a more engaging, non-academic atmosphere? For what it’s worth, I also do not want to go into clinical psychology or the mental health field, either. Information such as what an average day of a social science researcher looks like, inside and outside academia, would be very helpful. Social justice topics interest me, such as crime, gender issues, etc, as well as general topical social issues, such as why people vote the way they do, how technology affects human relationships, etc. I just don’t really know what to do with these interests! Graduate school seems like an appropriate option, but I don’t even know where to begin. It’s hard for me to articulate what exactly I’m interested in, and because I’ve never experienced the field except at the low level I am in now, it’s hard to know if it is right for me. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Name: Naomi Weinblatt ’16
Majors: psychology, sociology
Hometown: Queens, NY