Technology Consulting — Life Inside the Office

Getting out of the plane at 11 pm, a heat wave strikes. Typical of Dubai, I thought, but it was only 34 degrees Celsius. Soon I will discover that 45 would be something much more appropriate for Dubai. Below you can observe The Galleries at Downtown Jebel Ali where the Ericsson Dubai offices are. An interesting part about the Ericsson office is that there are no assigned tables but rather everyone is welcome to take any spot every morning which greatly enhances an open corporate culture that facilitates sharing and collaborative work.

My first day at the office, briefing with my mentor and straight to work, consulting in a nutshell, I thought. Research on pricing that I have done previously needed to be expressed through graphs and put into PowerPoint until the end of the day. I thought that would be easy. What’s a bit of Excel manipulation and PowerPoint? I did it so many times at Brandeis before. But alas, the required graph was nothing close to what I have seen before, so Lynda.com came in as a great resource to learn Visual Basic and a bit of programming that was of great use throughout the entire internship. In the coming days, my mentor gave me a fast course in working with cash flow statements and how to analyze them, along with an introduction to Ericsson-specific technology and basic information on how it works. I won’t lie, I was so happy that I had a good physics teacher in high school who enabled me to grasp the concepts much faster and perform the analysis more efficiently. After learning about cash flow analysis, it was time to perform the forecast and update the business model which was used to estimate the revenues from specific technology installed on-site. Forecasts are always very hard for anyone since they include many assumptions, but with right data and many years of working in field, my mentor’s model was very accurate in predicting which sites needed to be updated and with what technology. This is yet another time when previous learning of Visual Basic was more than welcome.