Two Summers, One Mission

I recently started my second summer internship with One Mission (OM), a pediatric cancer foundation that does whatever it takes to help kids get through cancer. “Rather than fund long-term solutions like research, One Mission programs and services provide immediate relief from the relentless wrath cancer unleashes every single day,” says the OM mission statement. One Mission is located in Framingham, MA. The organization is very small, currently only 5 employees and a few interns, yet they do big things for the pediatric cancer community.

The Shave Line at the Buzz Off. Where all of the buzzing happens
The Shave Line at the Buzz Off. Where all of the buzzing happens!

On Sunday June 5th, 2016, I helped out at their 7th annual Buzz Off for Kids with Cancer at Gillette Stadium. “The One Mission Buzz Off is a fun and unforgettable event where passionate people come together to shave their heads in honor and support of kids with cancer; kids who don’t have the choice to lose their hair. Just like a walk or road race, participants raise money by asking family and friends to sponsor their participation,” explains the Buzz Off website. Last year was my first Buzz Off and I immediately fell in love with the organization and their event. Seeing 8 year old girls walking in all excited to shave their heads is an amazing site for which words cannot do justice.

Working the Volunteer Registration table the day of the Buzz Off!

Since the Buzz Off is such a large event, drawing thousands of people and raising over a million dollars, most of my time so far has been spent preparing for the Buzz Off and helping with all of the post event tasks like reorganizing the office and inputting offline check donations into our online fundraising system. These tasks at times can be tedious, especially when I have a giant stack of checks on my desk and spend hours straight working on them, but I know it is important for the Buzz Off so that OM can do all it does and more for patients.

Packing for the Buzz Off
Packing for the Buzz Off.

As time passes and we get further away from the Buzz Off I will start working on more long term projects. I have begun to work on an internship outreach project. Essentially, I am working on how to advertise my job to other college students and contacting local universities about how to post the opportunity for their students. Interns have a large impact on OM. Since it is such a small organization, any extra people around are helpful. We often do things that the main employees don’t have much time for, such as unpacking and organizing the office after the Buzz Off. Therefore, despite the fact that this project does not directly impact patients, it does help OM to function better and have the capacity to do more for the patients in the long run.

One Mission funds yoga classes for patients and their families as a way to manage stress during treatment
One Mission funds yoga classes for patients and their families as a way to manage stress during treatment.

My goals for the summer are to work on more long term projects in order to have a bigger impact on the organization. This internship project is not what I originally pictured but at the same time it does help me work towards my goals.

– Jennifer Rossman