My “First Week” at The Improper Bostonian

Like everyone else here on the World of Work Summer Internship Blog, I’m writing about the first week of my summer experience. I’m interning in the editorial department at The Improper Bostonian, a lifestyle magazine focused on restaurants, events, trends and shopping in Boston. However, it’s not really my first week at The Improper since I’ve interned here since January, hence the quotation marks in the title of this post.

The location of The Improper’s offices on Berkeley St. in the Back Bay.

Even though I’m familiar with my supervisors and workspace from the spring, it’s been my first week of a completely different experience. Instead of interning twice a week in the midst of classes and other extra curricula activities, I’m able to focus more on the work I’m doing at my internship while taking a step outside the comforts of Brandeis. Thanks to the WOW scholarship, I’m able to sublet an apartment in Somerville and practice living like an actual young professional—cooking dinner for myself each night, commuting on the T, etc. Aside from the opportunity to continue pursue my dream of being a professional writer, I’m most grateful for the freedom granted by this scholarship.

Improper Intern Desk
Intern computers and work area

Before I get sidetracked, I should mention what I’m actually doing each day at The Improper. The foundation of the editorial internship experience and what I did throughout the spring is fact-checking articles for print, laying out calendar pages in InDesign and writing short blurbs—’callouts’—highlighting upcoming film screenings, performances or book readings around the area to be published in the print issue. It was comforting to get back to the same “meat and potatoes” work after a few weeks off but my goal for the summer is to move beyond these tasks and conduct more research, investigations and generate articles and online posts. The Improper’s website is pretty out-dated and bogged down but is in the process of a complete remodel.

Once that gets up and running, I’ll be able to focus more on different topics and trends around Boston to write about. In the meantime, I’ve been relentlessly fact-checking for the magazine’s biggest issue of the year—Boston’s Best. While I can’t share any of the winners (you’ll have to check out the print issue once it’s published next month), it is exciting to read about the best wedding caterers and local musicians as determined by our panel of judges. In the midst of my work this past week, I was reminded of a passage from a book I read for Professor McNamara’s Ethics in Journalism class I took this past spring.

Talking about the lure of journalism, especially while working at a publication like The New York Times, Seth Mnookin explains why journalists go into this stressful, typically underpaid, field. It’s the immediate access to the news and being among the first to learn about something makes it all worthwhile. While I might not be interviewing global leaders or reporting on multi-million dollar business deals, the access I have in The Improper’s editorial department is still enthralling. Not only do I get to read the magazine before it’s published, but I get to learn all about what’s going on around the city. If anything, interning for The Improper has made me a more well-informed citizen. Even if it concerns the newest restaurants and shops opening in Boston.