Interning at Living on Earth

cubicle
My cubicle at UMass Boston

Stationed amongst the urban brick and concrete UMass Boston Campus is an office inspired by clear rivers, thick forests and fresh, clean air. The radio show Living on Earth, where I am interning this summer, is a hub for environmental justice and sustainability, surrounded by the metropolitan center of New England.

I am an environmental studies major at Brandeis with an interest in writing and journalism. So this show, which broadcasts its weekly environmental program on 250 public radio stations around the country, is a great fit for me. I hope to explore the intersection of my twin interests of journalism and environmental studies in hopes of preparing for life after Brandeis. I also hope to meet people in the fields of journalism and environmental studies and provide a public service. For social change to occur, the public must be made aware of pressing environmental issues, and this show’s mission is to get the word out about these issues. As an intern at Living on Earth, I will research environmental issues and the inequalities that they cause for broadcast to a national audience.

studio
The recording studio

Although my internship has just begun, I have been able to work on many aspects of the program.

curwood
Steve Curwood, the host of the show, recording introductions to the pieces

I’ve reached out to potential guests for the show, I’ve written interview questions and introductions, I’ve worked on the show’s website, and I’ve even learned how to use computer programs to edit audio. I had no idea that radio shows often edit out the “um”s and “like”s and stutters that are commonplace in colloquial speech. But when it’s a pre-recorded show, it doesn’t hurt to make our guests sound smarter. We can even add sound effects to the background: the song of a bird, the splash of a stream, or whatever else fits with a piece.

So far, my experience has been great. I’ve learned a lot about what goes into producing a radio show, while exploring my interest in the environment. Our team is small, but very friendly. They share my love for social justice and the environment. In addition to our impact-focused work, we also have lively discussions during lunch. Lastly, our view of the Boston waterfront is refreshing.

Pro Tools is the editing software that I learned how to use.

The juxtaposition between the seagulls that pass overhead and the airplanes that buzz over the sky reminds me why I care about environmental issues. Pollution, harmful toxins, deforestation, extinctions, climate change, among others are part of our world now. But so are animals, forests, deserts and oceans. We must learn how to mitigate the first list, so we can enjoy the second.

This internship is a great first step for me to use everything I’ve learned at Brandeis to understand how to further my impact. In addition to everything I’ve mentioned, there’s an unexpected perk: quite a few publishers send the office advanced copies of books. I already finished one, and I expect to get a lot more reading done this summer.

I look forward to continuing to document my experience! Until then, check out the show on loe.org