This blog is an outlet for WOW recipients to reflect on their summer experiences, learn from one another, and offer advice to fellow students.
About the WOW program
Sponsored by the Hiatt Career Center at Brandeis University, the World of Work (WOW) program offers financial awards for Brandeis students who wish to pursue summer internships with organizations that may not be able to provide a salary. By eliminating financial barriers that could prevent students from following their career interests, the WOW program encourages students to use the summer to explore career fields, gain new skills, and experience the World of Work.
Types of WOW Awards
There are several types of WOW awards, including:
- Universal WOW – Awarded to students pursuing unpaid summer internships in any career field ($3000 stipends)
- Louis D. Brandeis Legacy Fund for Social Justice WOW – Awarded to students pursuing unpaid summer internships at mission-driven organizations addressing issues of social justice ($4500 stipends).
- Judith Cossin Berkman ’59 Endowed Internship Fund in Social Work – Awarded to a student pursuing an unpaid summer internship in social work ($5000 stipend).
- Alexander P. Heckler/Governor Ann Richards Internship Fund in Public Service WOW – Awarded to a student pursuing an unpaid summer internship in politics in Washington, DC ($3500 stipend)
- Rauch Family Trust Internship to fund summer internship for an undergraduate student secures an unpaid summer internship related to climate change ($5000 stipend)
- The Earl and Shirlee Katz Endowed Internship for Jewish Communal Service WOW supports a student who secures an unpaid summer internship with a non-profit that supports or serves the Jewish community ($3500 stipend)
- Experiential Learning (EL) Internship Fellowships support students over the summer in unpaid internship opportunities that connect learning to work and embody the EL framework of agency, belonging and competency ($5000 stipend).
- Steven M. Bunson ’82 Internship Fund in the Arts supports students who secure unpaid internships with organizations in the fields of Creative Arts,Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Media Arts, Graphic Arts, Video and Communication, and/or Art Therapy ($5000 stipend).
- The Sadie Newfield Summer Internship Fund will support an undergraduate student with an unpaid summer internship in theater, writing and/or other creative arts ($5000 stipend).
- The Dorothy Shapiro Fellowship in Women’s Rights and Women’s Education Fund supports a student who secures an internship pursuing the goal of increasing women’s rights or women’s and/or girls’ access to education ($5000 stipend).